This is the perfect all fitness watch! I mainly use it for the bike activity. I use this watch with the Garmin Varia radar and it works great. The radar flashes and makes a tone on the watch when a car is within range. The golf activity is great to use as well. The smart phone integration is much faster than the 235 & 735. Battery life is strong and the vibration notification is smooth and doesn't rattle when activated. Biketiresdirect has superior customer service and support with this watch.
The plastic over the optical heart rate (OHR) sensor cracked and started flaking off after only 4 months of use. Contacted Garmin customer service for warranty replacement and they exchanged my new watch for a used factory refurbished model stating they only consider this product new if it is less than 60 days of purchase (not explicitly stated in their warranty policy). I expect that the replacement will have the same problem as there is a long post on their blog about Fenix5FR935 OHR issues. Unfortunately the watch is great except for the defective materials used. Will probably be rethinking my brand loyalty policy when its time to replace or upgrade my watch again if they cant sort out the quality issues.
For context I'm coming from a Garmin 920XT (and a 310XT before that and a 405 before that). It blows my mind how this technology has shrunk in size so considerably over the past decade yet seems to get so much better!!!
What I love about the watch
1. excellent battery life - I do Ironman triathlons and with my 920XT, I had to make sure it was fully charged right up to the race start to ensure that it would hold out through my 11-12 hrs of slowly plodding around the course. With the 935, the battery was still in the 30% range at the finish line of my last IM. The watch also takes on a charge much faster than previous models, so you don't have to go watch-free for long.
2. quick and easy communication with the Garmin Connect app - this seemed like a possibility with my last Garmin, but it was not easy to download and install apps and widgets on the watch. That's all seamless in the 935, so you can modify it however you want in no time.
3. rapid acquisition of GPS signal and bluetooth pairing with all your sensors - Both functions are so much faster than my previous Garmin models.
4. tons of useful apps functions already installed - plus you can quickly modify the layout of your menus. Initially, I wondered why I'd want to be able to control Spotify on my phone from my watch...until I was working in the garage and wanted to change songs on my phone-speaker combo 30 feet away-how did we live before this capability? )
5. intuitive button layout around the periphery of watch - it's easy to quickly build the muscle memory to hit the right buttons when trying to navigate menus (even when you're a little low on oxygen during a workout). And it seems unlikely that I'll accidentally hit a button if I reach back to do something benign as scratching my back, as could happen with my 920XT.
6. flexibility of quick fit bands - it's very easy to change the look of your watch in under 15 seconds by switching out the 22 mm bands to whatever color you'd prefer.
7. smaller size - it's good and bad, I guess. Most of the time I like that it just looks like another watch, but other times I miss that another triathlete could tell from a mile away that I was a triathlete by the behemoth girth of the 920xt on my wrist and we knew we had something in common right there.
What I don't love
1. up-front cost - at face value, especially to a non-athlete (ie., my wife), one may wonder why anyone would spend this kind of money on a watch. But honestly, it does so darn much, so efficiently, that I think it's actually worth its cost. Plus, nowadays lots of people blow huge money on things like Apple watches (and, of course, they love them). For me, that'd be a waste, because it doesn't do what I want. However, the Garmin 935 engages perfectly
Upgraded from the 910xt and am loving the functionality of this watch. Its relatively light and finds satellites faster than my old watch, the phone connectivity is cool, and its nice to have wrist heart rate instead of running with a chest strap.
This watch has great battery life (I charge it when it goes below 50%, maybe once a week), a very accurate GPS, great functionality for many different sportsactivities, and very good wrist pulse monitor (a great feature for those of us who have difficulty with chest straps). The screen is very visible despite displaying a lot of information. It syncs very well with my android phone.
I had the garmin forerunner 920XT and this is a great update! I have used this for about 3 months now and love the more appealing sleek look, the lighter weight, and it's functionality is great. Will only stay with garmin!
Multiple Ironman finisher using the watch for training, racing and daily life. The integrated heart rate is especially useful for someone who finds the HR strap uncomfortable and would rather trainrace without it.
The watch is very thorough with run statistics and provides flexibility. Syncs automatically with my smart phone every time.
I like the built in heart monitor, but for accurate heart rate the band has to be snug to your wrist. a little more snug than I like to wear my running watches.
I'm very happy with the watches performance overall.
Does away with a chest strap for heart rate, which was the first reason I wanted it. But it does so much more, and perfectly. Buttons work great, unlike earlier Garmin watches. Love the 7-day plot of average resting heart rate, as well as the one button push for weather and probability of rain. Not as crazy heavy as a Fenix.
Bought this awesome watch after reading all the great reviews from Bikestiresdirect.com
I was not disappointed. Shipping was speedy and right out of the box you can use it. There was plenty of charge in it. Watch is very light, comfortable and gps is accurate. There are too many features to name but mainly use it to swimbikerun. Its the best triathlon watch in my opinion. So for all you Triathletes. Look no further just buy this watch.
I like the bike, golf & swim features pool and open water functionality. The Connect App helps keep track of daily, monthly goals. Very pleased with the purchase. Bike Tires direct is the best, free shipping plus $$ off this order for prior gold account purchases.
very happy overall. haven't worn a watch in years and now do everyday, especially for smart watch notifications. tracks great. treadmill seems accurate. indoor pool is about 90-95% ACCURATE. at worst, it gives you more distance. outdoor run is on track with strava. have not been in open water yet. great battery life.
Training for an Ironman using this watch. Its nice I can use it for days and days and no need to charge. I like the light weight of it also. Best Garmin gps todate.
The 935 is a leap ahead of my 910xt with the wrist hr monitor and comfort. I do wonder if the hr is as accurate but the comfort trumps the slight differences. I do recommend this product for triathletes and runners as well as cyclists but do wonder how this stacks up to the Apple products. Still, I use the 935 for sports activities only not daily use.