Beautiful looking saddle. Caused very sore butt first couple rides then better. If comfort is your cause, this wouldn't be my pick. For me it was a look to go with my vintage bike. After 10 rides it is comfortable enough and fine for 40-50 k for me.
The only thing negetative about this saddle, you have to ride the saddle to break it in and make it comfortable to ride
This is my first unsprung leather saddle. I'm using it on a Rivendell Hillborne build, which seats me pretty upright with albatross bars. I appreciate that the leather is smooth, so it won't erode my pants like saddles with stitching or perforated surfaces have done in the past. I got the Special for the look of the copper rivets and the tapered edge, figuring that I'll have the saddle for at least 10 years, so cost is not an issue over time. The saddle does look great, and very appropriate for a bike with classic lines.
I've owned five other Brooks saddles (B17 standard, Team Pro, Team Pro Special, Cambium C17) and have not found one better than this for my commutertouring bike.
- Comfortable from day one and gets better with time
- Absolutely gorgeous. The copper rivets set it apart from others and get better with age with a beautiful patina.
- Durable. I've had one B17 for 3 years and only got rid of it because I sold it with the bike. They last a LONG time.
- Price. Upgrading to the special is expensive. Honestly, the B17 standard is as comfortable and durable, just less beautiful.
- Susceptible to weather. Don't let this get wet! Leather deteriorates if it gets soaked. Buy a cover or use a plastic bag if you have to. If you don't want the hassle of covering it when parked in the rain, buy a cambium, but you will sacrifice on comfort.
This saddle is great for commuting and touring. For sports cycling like road biking and mountain biking, I would prefer the narrower Team Pro, Swift, or Cambium C17C15.
I rode this saddle on Pac Tour Transcontinental 126mi per day for 25 straight days. You will see LOTS of ultra-distance cyclists on Brooks. And I never had a comfort issue from day one, no break-in needed. (But I know some people do.) Downside it's heavy. Small price to pay for most riders.
Not only is this saddle beautiful, but it is also quite comfortable right out of the box. I know it will be even better as I ride it more, but I can tell you that I am delighted with this purchase! So much better than gel or plastic saddles.
Buy one! You won't regret it. Modern Bike is also a very reliable company! And the brown color is a gorgeous chestnut.
You can not beat the comfort and great looks of this seat. It changes the look of your bike instantly to a classic style. The black leather saddle with matching leather bar tape looks and feels great.
This saddle is fine in quality, however takes some breaking in. It has been a month of rideing 100 miles a week and it is just beginning to feel tolerable. Several club members have the same saddle and love them. One needs a good pair of bike shorts with good padding to reduce the hard surface until the saddle conforms to you.