Nothing More is Needed. Nothing Less Will Do.
The Surly Preamble is a hard-boiled steel commuter built for comfort, durability, and buffoonery on pavement and gravel.
The challenge was thus: Build a serious steel bike and give it only the attributes that matter most. Make it quick and comfortable on pavement, as well as confident and compliant on degraded surfaces. What the Enginerds put forth is Preamble, a pavement and gravel utility worker that proves you don't need to cut corners or clip coupons to make a more affordable steel bike. You just need to keep it simple.
Preamble can run racks and fenders and carry a couple water bottles. Smooth and efficient on asphalt, Preamble's double-butted main triangle provides a resplendent ride feel and withstands abuse from life's inevitable potholes. Make it your own with flat bars, drop bars, a basket, or bags. On the road to steel euphoria, Preamble is the gateway drug.
- Offered in flat-bar and drop-bar models
- Easy T-Shirt sizing to fit nearly every rider (XS,S,M,L,XL)
- Sloping top tubes on XS and Small frames for improved standover and comfort
- To offer the best rider experience for every frame size, XS and S frames get 650b wheelsets while M–XL get 700c
- Custom-cast single-position vertical dropout
- Full Bike spec subject to change
- Frame: Surly Preamble, 100% Chromoly steel tubing, E.D. coated
- Fork: Surly Preamble, 100% Chromoly steel fork, Disc Only
- Seatpost Clamp: Surly Stainless 30.0
- See frameset page for full specs
- Headset: VP 1-1/8" Threadless
- Brakes: Avid BB5 Mechanical
- Brake levers: Avid FR-5
- Rotors: SRAM 160mm F/R
- Shifters: microSHIFT Acolyte Xpress
- Stem: Kalloy 31.8
- Handlebar: Kalloy, 35mm rise, 9-degree backsweep
- Grip/Tape: Black Rubber
- Saddle: Selle Italia X-Base
- Seatpost: Kalloy 27.2 x 300mm
- Crankset: Samox, 3-piece, 40t
- Bottom Bracket: JIS 68 x 124.5mm
- Rear derailleur: microSHIFT RD-M5185M
- Cassette: microSHIFT 12-42t, 8-speed
- Chain: KMC Z8.3
- Front hub: Novatec, 6-bolt disc, 32h, QR
- Rear hub: Novatec, 6-bolt disc, 32h, QR
- Rims: 21mm, 32h
- Tires: Kenda Kwik Tendril 700c x 35mm (MD/LG/XL) & Kenda Standard 650b x 1.35 (XS/SM)
Returns: This product is overweight and/or oversize and does not qualify for our fixed rate return shipping label. If you need to return this item, we can offer a return shipping label at our discounted shipping rates, or you can arrange for your own return shipping.
Overweight shipping charges apply for this item so shipping promotions for other products may not apply. To get a shipping quote, add the item to your shopping cart and click the Get Shipping Quote button.
B-Stock - This product has one or more B-Stock units available. These units can be purchased at a discount (see option select). B-Stock units were returned from other customers and may have missing or damaged packaging materials. These units are otherwise as new. The full manufacturer warranty applies. Click Here for more information.
Please note: This product ships signature required.
XS - Skyrim Blue
Mfg PartNum: BK3641
Small - Skyrim Blue
Mfg PartNum: BK3642
Medium - Skyrim Blue
Mfg PartNum: BK3643
Large - Skyrim Blue
Mfg PartNum: BK3644
XL - Skyrim Blue
Mfg PartNum: BK3645